056 775 4397
The School of Food Buliding Cookery Class Happy Girl with Heart Shaped Biscuit In the middle of perparing food in the Incubation Kitchen Cooking in the Student Kicthen People Insepcting the Garden The Incubation Kitchen in use

Vision

The Kilkenny School of Food, Thomastown, aims to be an acclaimed training centre for aspiring and experienced professional chefs and a food hub for discourse, innovation and learning, achieved through strategic partnerships and community collaboration.

By 2020 the non-profit and self-sustaining School of Food will be a nationally recognised Professional Chef Training Centre delivering training at all levels in food, horticulture and the culinary arts, from seed to plate.

Modern Skills for Modern Chefs

Our 11-Week Chef Training Course incorporates a variety of culinary methods and technique used in modern Irish kitchens. Some of the skills taught are classically French; some are not – but all are in demand in modern Irish kitchens. Our classes are 80% practical, meaning our students are cooking in the kitchen 80% of the time, with food theory and health and safety making up the remaining 20% of the course. From Week Seven, our students will be placed in a professional kitchen for work placement. This allows for valuable industry experience and a way to apply the skills learned.

Garden

The School of Food has developed a one-acre Market Garden. A wide selection of vegetables, fruit, herbs and salad crops have been planted for use in the Chef Training and Cookery classes.
Our garden project is being co-ordinated by Regina Blunden, who leads the Community Volunteer Group. Team members are chosen through a volunteer program, the Tus Scheme and with occasional supports from Camphill Jerpoint.